Protect Damaged Teeth at River Park Dental
Whether you need to replace an old steel or gold crown with a more natural-looking option, or if you suspect that you have a damaged or infected tooth, a dental crown from Dr. Ahmed at River Park Dental can help. We use the latest digital technology and techniques to craft beautiful porcelain crowns and give patients in Wethersfield, Cromwell, and Newington strong, healthy smiles.
Dental Crowns – Understand the Basics
A dental crown is also sometimes called a “cap,” because it caps and covers the entire enamel chewing surface of your tooth. In the past, these “caps” were often made from gold or steel. Now, they are primarily manufactured from durable porcelain materials.
By covering and capping the entire tooth, a dental crown can protect damaged enamel and restore your tooth to its original size, appearance, shape, and color. They can also be used for cosmetic purposes, to cover up misshapen or severely stained teeth.
The Crown Placement Process
At your appointment, Dr. Ahmed will numb and clean the area that is to be treated. Then, the tooth is trimmed down to provide a strong and stable platform for the crown. Any additional damaged or infected tooth material is removed.
After this, images and impressions of your mouth are taken and sent to an outside dental lab, where your permanent crown will be created. In the meantime, you’ll wear a temporary crown to protect your tooth until the permanent crown is adhered.
When your permanent crown arrives at our office, we’ll check it for fit and finish, and adjust it if necessary. Finally, Dr. Ahmed will bond into place using dental cement, completing the procedure and giving you a bright, fresh smile.
The Benefits Of Dental Crowns
Crowns are a great way to restore your teeth and your natural smile. Here are just a few benefits of getting a dental crown from Dr. Niaz Ahmed:
- Restore your smile and bite – A crown essentially “replaces” your damaged tooth, allowing you to eat, speak, and smile normally, and feel confident in your smile again.
- No special care required – Just brush and floss normally, and see Dr. Ahmed for regular 6-month exams and oral hygiene appointments.
- Long lifespan – A dental crown can easily last two decades or longer with proper placement and care, making them a great long-term investment.
The Benefits Of Same-Day Crowns
At River Park Dental, Dr. Ahmed offers same-day crowns to keep dental care as simple and convenient as possible for every patient. Thanks to CEREC technology, Dr. Ahmed can create a dental restoration (typically a dental crown) in a matter of minutes. This technology has a number of useful benefits when it comes to enhancing a patient’s experience:
- No temporary crown required – Traditional crowns require Dr. Ahmed to trim your tooth, then send you home with a temporary crown while your permanent crown is created at an outside lab. This crown is often a bit bulky and uncomfortable. CEREC, on the other hand, does not require you to wear a temporary crown.
- Restore your tooth in just one short appointment – A traditional crown must be made at a third-party dental lab, which means you’ll have to schedule 2 appointments, and the process of having your crown built can take anywhere from 2-3 weeks. Same-day crowns allow you to get identical results in just a single 2-hour appointment.
- No dental impressions are required – CEREC uses a special powder and digital imaging tools to take photos and scans of your mouth. This means you won’t need to have dental impressions taken, which is often an unpleasant experience, particularly if you have a strong gag reflex.
- Perfect fit with a natural appearance – CEREC crowns are built using 3D scans of your mouth to ensure that they fit perfectly. Same-day crowns can also be matched to the exact color of your other teeth. Your smile will look completely natural, and your new CEREC crown will fit perfectly with the rest of your teeth.
What Are Same-Day Crowns Used For?
Most commonly, same-day crowns are used for restorative treatments. Crowns are built to cover up and protect your tooth structure, and they are an ideal choice for patients with teeth that have been extensively damaged due to decay or an oral injury. However, same-day crowns are sometimes also used for cosmetic dentistry simply to enhance the aesthetics of your smile. In some cases, a crown may be a better option than other cosmetic treatments like dental bonding or veneers.
Who Is A Good Candidate For A Same-Day Crown?
Almost anyone can have a same-day crown. The primary exception is for teeth that have broken off below the gumline. Because CEREC same-day crowns use a 3D scanner that cannot reach below the gums, the image will not be precise enough. If your tooth is broken in this manner, a traditional crown will most likely be a better option for you. For more information, and to see if you’re a good candidate for same-day crowns in Hartford, Newington or Berlin, CT, contact the team at River Park Dental for an appointment.
Contact Us For An Appointment Today!
River Park Dental is an ideal choice for dental crowns in Hartford and the surrounding areas. Dr. Ahmed offers professional, caring service and superior results. If your tooth has been damaged and you need to restore your smile, contact us right away for an appointment at (860) 785-8496, or come to our office in-person, at 1111 Cromwell Avenue, #203, Rocky Hill, Connecticut 06067.